Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Keeper of the Lost Cities


 Keeper of the Lost Cities (Keeper of the Lost Cities, #1)


12-year-old Sophie is a child prodigy with the ability to hear others thoughts (telepathy). Everything in her life has felt temporary and she never really understood where her ability came from. After having her picture posted in the newspaper, she meets Fitz a blue eyed telepath who reveals to her that she is an elf. Fitz takes her to the elf city where she meets Alden, Fitz's father, who begins to help her put some of the pieces of her life in place. Sophie learns that Alden has been searching for her for years while she was hidden away on earth and apparently she also has hidden information inside of her mind, secrets that she isn't aware of. To complicate things, Alden convinces her that it would be best if she leaves her life and family on earth and attends Foxfire, a school for teaching students to identify their talents and how to use them. Foxfire is kinda like a Hogwarts meets Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters. There are tests, and plenty of instances where ingenuity and strength are needed. Sophie begins attending classes and learning about the various abilities that she possesses that manifest themselves when she is put into stressful situations, and boy does she see her fair share. I really enjoyed this first book in the series from Shannon Messenger. There is lots of action and magic. There are also further complications for Sophie as she meets new students at the school and tries to determine who she can trust. There is a little side romance/jealousy thrown in to keep things entertaining with three boys who appear to have a soft spot for Sophie. All the while that Sophie is trying to unravel the clues hidden inside her mind, there are mysterious outside forces (Black Swan organization) and unexplained magical fires happening on earth. The mystery's extend way back into why she was placed on earth with normal parents, why does she have bits and pieces of memories coming back and even who put them there. I thoroughly enjoyed this book, wish the next one was coming out sooner. Others have seen this book as similar to Harry Potter and I guess in hindsight I can see it too (glad I didn't read any review before reading the book), but I think that is what I enjoyed about reading this book. It kinda took me to a place that was familiar and cozy. Rekindled some of those same feelings I had in a different series that I so enjoyed reading.
This is one of those books that I've heard about via many of the blogs that I follow, and when it became available at the library quickly picked up. After reading the book, I will be buying this one as well.  (I know I will want to revisit it again, plus love the cover) Overall a 5/5 book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment