Wednesday, September 9, 2015

MG Fantasy/Adventure: The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner




448873Published by: Greenwillow Books on December 27th 2005 (first published 1996)
Genres: Middle Grade Fantasy/Adventure
Pages: 280

Format: Paperback
Source:  Purchased 


"I can steal anything."  After Gen's bragging lands him in the king's prison, the chances of escape look slim.  Then the king's scholar, the magus, needs the thief's skill for a seemingly impossible task-to steal a hidden treasure from another land.  To the magus, Gen is just a tool.  But Gen is a trickster and a survivor with a plan of his own." (From the back cover of the paperback).


The Thief came highly recommended by Brandy at Random Musings of a Bibliophile.  Truthfully it is my first time reading a book by Megan Whalen Turner, although I've heard that her books are favorites of quite a few bloggers.  I very much liked our narrator Gen, he is smart, resourceful and very sneaky. Not only does he convince the king's magus to take him to search for the treasure, he is also able to back up his being boastful by being a very adept thief.   I especially like the details of how Gen uses his lock-picking tools to open doors and his adventures of trying to steal food for him and his traveling companions.   At the same time, I enjoyed the political intrigue going on between the three neighboring countries of Attolia, Sounis and Eddis. Gen is more knowledgeable about the situation than he wants to let on, which leads to a nice twist at the end.  I very much enjoyed Megan Whalen Turner's writing style and am vested now to pickup Queen of Attolia and continue with Gen's story.  

3 comments:

  1. I loved this series. I wish she'd write something new. I'd really want to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thieves are love. I am so glad you liked this book :D .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool cover and now I am intrigued. I haven't read any of the books in this series! Thanks for sharing. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete