Top Ten Tuesday is a Meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish This week's Top Ten is Ten Topics That Make Me Not Want to Pick-up A Book. This was a rather difficult list for me this week some of the things that I've listed I will tolerate in a Middle-grade book, but not in a Young-Adult book and some I've listed I just don't care for.
1. The death of a parent/grandparent- as a main plot point of a book. Just too sad for me to read about. Also no books including suicide.
2. Characters who's dialogue doesn't reflect their age- Mostly this is when a middle-grade character sounds much younger than their age or uses exclamations that are childish.
3. Sports- I don't play any sports so if this is primarily the subject then I'm not really interested.
4. A character that has a terminal illness- this would go hand in hand with the death of a parent, way too sad for me to read about.
5. Biography or Autobiographies it would really have to be someone that I was really interested in learning more about otherwise, it would seem more like taking a class to me.
6. Mental or Physically Abusive Relationship- Nope, don't want any mind games or abuse in my story.
7. Aliens maybe this is just the case of not having read the right book yet, but it isn't something that I'm particularly interested in reading about.
8. Erotica I'm good with some steaminess in my YA books, but I draw the line too.
9. Not an instant complete turn off but comparing a book to Harry Potter will get a side-eye from me.
10. Politics/History books from political figures or about the past World Wars if they are just heavy into the military aspects. I do like reading MG with a setting during the wars or a story that tells a unique perspective of the events.
So, what are some topics that either make you pick-up or cause you to put down a book? Feel free to make a comment or post a link to your TTT.