Tuesday, April 25, 2017

TTT: Top Ten Topics That Make Me Not Pick Up A Book




Top Ten Tuesday is a Meme hosted by The Broke and the Bookish  This week's Top Ten is Ten Topics That Make Me Not Want to Pick-up A Book.  This was a rather difficult list for me this week some of the things that I've listed  I will tolerate in a Middle-grade book, but not in a Young-Adult book and some I've listed I just don't care for.  

1.  The death of a parent/grandparent- as a main plot point of a book.  Just too sad for me to read about.  Also no books including suicide.   

2.  Characters who's dialogue doesn't reflect their age- Mostly this is when a middle-grade character sounds much younger than their age or uses exclamations that are childish.  

3. Sports-  I don't play any sports so if this is primarily the subject then I'm not really interested.  

4.  A character that has a terminal illness-  this would go hand in hand with the death of a parent, way too sad for me to read about. 

5.  Biography or Autobiographies  it would really have to be someone that I was really interested in learning more about otherwise, it would seem more like taking a class to me.

 6.  Mental or Physically Abusive Relationship-  Nope, don't want any mind games or abuse in my story. 

7.  Aliens maybe this is just the case of not having read the right book yet, but it isn't something that I'm particularly interested in reading about. 

8. Erotica I'm good with some steaminess in my YA books, but I draw the line too.

9. Not an instant complete turn off but comparing a book to Harry Potter will get a side-eye from me. 

10. Politics/History books from political figures or about the past World Wars if they are just heavy into the military aspects.   I do like reading MG with a setting during the wars or a story that tells a unique perspective of the events.   

So, what are some topics that either make you pick-up or cause you to put down a book?  Feel free to make a comment or post a link to your TTT.     





9 comments:

  1. We have a lot in common! Glad to hear there is someone else who doesn't do aliens. Although I do love autobiographies, but that's mostly with celebrities and always audiobooks. Great list!
    Cassi @ My Thoughts Literally

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm exactly the same with sports! I'm just not interested. Great list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Books in your "6" category are tough for me, too, and I tend to avoid them. I'll read them, depending on the story/author, but will need to follow it up with something light. Just the thought of "8" books are a complete turn off to me. Everything else is generally something I'd pick up, though my default favorites are usually historical fiction with a mystery/humor/fantasy element, like The Incorrigible Children series or the Lockwood series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. List of elements that I enjoy reading in a book would've have been really long for me. I love the Lockwood series and Bartimaeus series of books too.

      Delete
  4. I feel ya on a lot of these, especially sports, erotica, and politics. I'll always avoid those kinds of books. Aliens, I can handle occasionally, but not often.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had characters not speaking like someone their age as well, I used older as an example, but younger works too.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/04/25/top-ten-tuesday-104/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surprise... we do have a lot in common! I have death and gore and abuse all on my list, too. I think I'm full up on kids with terminal illnesses, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Character with a terminal illness - that's a good one. I'm not crazy about that either...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lately I have felt like a lot of books have sad or depressing topics. I am trying to stay away from them for a little while. Overall, I don't like most vampire stories. I like Anne Rice so much that I compare all vampires to the ones she created.

    Great list!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete