Monday, February 2, 2015

Middle Grade Review: The Shadow Throne by Jennifer Nielsen

17667561The Ascendance Trilogy has been a special series that I have loved reading, it's always sad to read that last book though.  It comes with such expectations and wishes for a certain kind of ending, I'm happy to say that Nielsen did not disappoint one bit, she still has the knack of throwing in some twists and turns that I didn't predict.  It makes me look forward to reading The Mark of the Thief when it comes out that much more.   

One thing I've always enjoyed is Jaron's mischievousness, willfulness, resilience, strength and his ability to pull a great prank.  It's these skills that have always helped him get out of some very tough binds. Yet, this time around Jaron lacks secrecy, especially since he has now taken his place on the throne, and all of his enemies are out for revenge.  It's not surprising that Carthya becomes immersed in a war which is coming in from all sides. When news reaches Jaron that King Vargan has kidnapped Imogen, thinking with his heart, he initially makes plans to try and rescue her.  Seeing that this is most likely a trap, he reluctantly agrees to let Mott go in his place, which ends up getting him captured as well.  Jaron sends Tobias and Amarinda to Bymar to ask for some much needed armies, while he heads to rescue Mott and Imogen. In The Shadow Throne, Jaron is faced with some massive decisions.  Some he uses pranks to try and solve, and some decisions he ends up paying a heavy price for.  Through it all, he stays true to his friends and tries to keep his countries interests first.  I would love to say so much more about the plot, but you know spoilers are not my thing.  The Shadow Throne is very action packed, filled with perils, plots, schemes, explosions, torture, heartfelt moments, and for me a very satisfying ending.  

Amarinda really surprised me this time around, I loved how gutsy she was and not wanting to be a "decoration on an arm." I was also somewhat surprised by Jaron.  In earlier books, I always felt that Jaron had an underlying plan to all of his motives.  That he was orchestrating everything that happened.  This time, Jaron's plans seemed to go so awry and I really felt for him most of the story. He had to undergo such physical and mental strain.  For someone not used to trusting others, he seemed to have to rely on his friends more.  Which truthfully just means that he grew up to me.  I loved how Jaron helped Roden become a better captain, drawing from his own experiences growing up.  "Nobody gives you respect in this life.  You must take it, you must earn it, and then you must hold it sacred, because no matter how hard respect is to attain, it can be lost in an instant."   As always, I love Mott and Jaron's relationship, how they have each others backs and my favorite lines are when they are getting ready to go into battle.  Jaron has asked for one hundred of the weakest men..."What are you doing here?"  I asked him.  "It's all very shameful," he said.  "It turns out I'm one of your one hundred weakest men." "Your'e not." "I'm afraid it's true."  Even as he spoke, Mott couldn't resist smiling.  "It's a source of great embarrassment, Your Majesty, and I beg you not to question me about it any further."  The utmost respect and friendship that they share is so endearing.  The Shadow Throne, isn't all battles and horrors of war, but has some very sweet moments between Imogen and Jaron as well.  Overall, I really enjoyed the trilogy and know it is a series that will go on my must re-read list.
  

4 comments:

  1. Yes, I really enjoyed this too. And want to re-read it too. And I'm spotlighting and giving away Mark of the Thief on Wednesday. A fabulous start to a new series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing what you thought on Weds. I've already pre-ordered a Night Divided too :)

      Delete
  2. You need to give The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner a try. Awesome series, and Eugenides has to have been an inspiration for Jaron.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, have to check it out. I've heard great things about Whalen's work, but have yet to read any. Aah, so many books, not enough hours😌

      Delete