Monday, March 4, 2024

For Marvelous Middle Grade Monday: Ferris by Kate DiCamillo




Ferris by Kate DiCamillo
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Format:  E-ARC
Number of pages:  240 pages
Publishing:   March 5th, 2024
Source:  Edelweiss+

Opening Line: "It was the summer before Emma Phineas Wilkey (who everyone called Ferris) went into the fifth grade."

This was going to be no ordinary summer for Ferris.  Her little sister, Pinky to everyone's chagrin had vowed to become an outlaw.  Uncle Ted left Aunt Shirley and moved into the Wilkey basement to complete his masterpiece, a painting of the history of the world.  Although, he really spends most of his time in his robe, which infuriates Ferris's mom to no end.  And Ferris's beloved grandmother, Charisse has started to see a ghost standing on the threshold of her bedroom with an unhappy expression.  Ferris is very concerned that the ghost has appeared to take her grandmother to the Great Beyond, and she'll stop at nothing to prevent this from happening.  Yet it appears that the ghost has a very different plan for her sudden appearance which entails the chandelier hanging in the dining room.    

There truly hasn't been a story that Kate DiCamillo has written that I haven't liked.  The Tale of Despereaux will always hold a special place in my heart and is my favorite book of hers.  I'm always excited when she has a new book being released and Ferris went to the top of my TBR pile.  

Ferris is a lovely main character; I especially enjoyed the story of how she got her nickname.  The most important person to Ferris is her grandmother.  They play cards together, and because she hasn't been feeling well lately Ferris even reads aloud to her.  They have beautiful conversations, that help Ferris to process her feelings.  Ferris has a big vocabulary, using words like gilded, and ludicrous, and really likes her teacher, Mrs. Mielk.  Her best friend is Billy Jackson, who she met on the very first day of kindergarten when he told her that he hears piano music in his head all the time and then asked if he could hold her hand.  They're a cute duo and it reminded me of my childhood friend, Craig.  The Wilkey's are quite amusing and quirky.  Uncle Ted gave up his job and wife to paint in the basement but sends Ferris to spy on her to see if her aunt is mad at him.  Even Ferris's dad is occupied by trying to catch the racoons that have invaded the family's attic.  Then there's Pinky, Ferris's little sister who is up to such antics.  Not only does she get arrested, for trying to rob a bank, she bites a nurse and steals to get herself on a wanted poster.  Quite silly.  

Overall, the story has a small town feel to it, is warm hearted but also sad. There's a deep expression of love and community.  While the plot involves some supernatural aspects, I think the reader can sympathize with Ferris's big feelings.  With its quirky characters and strong emphasis on family and friendships it made for a very enjoyable read. 

  
I hope you'll check out all the other Marvelous Middle-Grade Monday posts at Greg Pattridge's blog HERE      

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad to see another book by Kate D. She always creates engaging characters and this looks like no exception. I now have it high on my TBR list. Thanks for the review and Happy MMGM!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Orris and Timble: The Beginning is another that releases in April. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm a huge fan of Kate. This sounds like a fantastic story with the supernatural aspects of the story and the very quirky characters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Added to my TBR. I know this author is very popular among the MMGM crew so it's time I read her! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good. Always enjoy Kate DiCamillo's books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always perk up when Kate has a new book coming out. Thanks for the great review. Small town feels are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice review. I agree that I LOVE all of Kate's books. This is already on my TBR list--now to find time to read it. Carol Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds SO fun! I love the idea of deciding at a young age that you'll grow up to be an outlaw. And like you, there ain't nothin' Kate's written that I don't love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this book. I enjoyed every word of it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so glad you loved this book. I have loved so many of her books and have been curious to learn more about this one. Thanks for sharing. :) ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds really cute! I'm definitely going to give it a read. Great review.

    ReplyDelete