Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Classic MG Read-a-long: Mary Poppins Comes Back by P.L. Travers


Cover of Mary Poppins Comes BackI first read Mary Poppins in 2010 for a Children's Book group on Goodreads.  I remember being pretty excited about reading it for the first time.  I've always loved watching the movie when I was a child, maybe it's because I enjoy musicals or just that Dick Van Dyke does such a wonderful job of imitating a penguin. But, reading Mary Poppins was a whole different experience.  Mary Poppins was much more stern then I expected and at times the children seemed to be scared of her, but also intrigued.  The movie will always be my favorite.  Here's a link to my original review

To prepare for the read a-long with The Midnight Garden, I decided to try out the second book in the series, Mary Comes Back on audiobook read by Sophie Thompson.   I really wanted to see if reading the
 second book would bring the charm that I so much enjoyed about Mary Poppins from the movie to light, without having the reference of a movie to compare it to.

Sometime has passed since Mary Poppins has been at Number Seventeen Cherry-Tree Lane, and things at the Banks house are in total disarray.  "Nothing ever goes right--hasn't for ages! Shaving water to hot and coffee too cold."  The children have been through three governesses  and now that there is the addition of twins John and Barbara,  Mrs. Banks is at her wits end.  Trying for some peace, she sends them all out to the park to play.  While there, they are pleasantly surprised when Mary Poppins comes back being pulled on the end of Michael's kite string.   With no explanation or apologies, she once again takes over the care of the Bank's children. 

While reading Mary Poppins Comes Back, I think I've finally realized what it is the children adore about her.  Mary brings spontaneityadventure and excitement to their day, there was a whole chapter where the children were bored and fighting, and Mary takes charge and gives them such fun adventures.  She takes them on trips to visit Mr. Turvy and his bride Miss Topsy, tells them stories about a King of the Castle and the Dirty Rascal and even takes them to a circus in the stars.  Maybe they respect her firmness and calm that she brings to their family while she is there.   I can't say that Mary Poppins became more agreeable or pleasant, in fact she even seemed somewhat more conceded then I'd recalled, she spends a lot of time looking at her image in the mirror then I remembered from the first book.  I guess that it intrigues me that she comes off as so stern, while at the same time being magical, dancing in the circus and sharing wonderful adventures with the children.  Maybe "A Spoon Full of Sugar" is still dancing in my head and I'm still seeing Julie Andrews too.  Oh well, it still makes me want to read one of the next stories though.  





 



7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, it has been a whole lot of ages since I read Mary Poppins. I really should plan on revisiting some of these old favourites...oops...there it goes, the TBR just tipped over (again!). Have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two of my goals for 2016 are visit/revisit a classic and read a new YA. Although, I do love my MG, it's what makes my TBR pile topple :) Have a great week too and thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I never read it either, but loved the movie. I think I'll stick with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a little nervous at first, cause I love the movie so, but it's growing on me. But, I know what you mean. Thanks for stopping by, hope you have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  3. I loved the movie Mary Poppins as a child, and still love it today. I have never read any of the books. I can see how it would be appealing to read the second book because the movie comparison wouldn't be there as much. I am glad you were able to see what the children like about her in the second book. Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not read Mary Poppins or Mary Poppins comes back but I would certainly like to. I loved the film as a child and still enjoy it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The books felt very different than the movie, but I'm glad that I read them. I'm hoping to do this with more classic books for which I've seen the movies, but not yet read the book. Thanks for visiting my blog.

      Delete