Saturday, March 2, 2013

The Runaway King


 The Runaway King (The Ascendance Trilogy, #2)

"I had arrived early for my assassination."  Whoa, what a great opening line.  It brings up so many great questions.  Who's about to be assassinated?  Why? For what reason? Did they make it out alive? In my opinion, it's just what a great story needs.  Something that captures your interest right away, something that leaves you wondering what will happen next. At the same time that statement is so Jaron, full of humor.

It also describes how I felt while reading The Runaway King by Jennifer Nielsen.  I loved the twists in this story.  Just when I think I know where the plot is heading, the author puts Jaron into a whole new challenge.  Where the first book, The False Prince was a sort of  battle of wills between Sage and Conner. The Runaway King introduces new foes into the mix and the stakes for our King Jaron are much higher, not only is the Kingdom of Avenia poised to attack but now the pirates want to finish off what they started.  Jaron is left to choose between what is "unacceptable or impossible." 

 My favorite dialogue is between Erick and Jaron after Jaron retrieves his sword from Erick.    "You're incorrigible," he said.  "More than you know."  I attached the sword and its scabbard around my waist, then said, "Shall we go?"  Erick continued to look at me.  "I think I may grow to hate you before this is over."  "But you don't already and thats got to be some sort of record."  The thing I like about Jaron is that he tries to take his destiny by hand.  Even if the choices he makes are dangerous and the risks may be more than he realizes.  Through it all though he seems to know what is at stake if  he fails and gotta love him for trying.  It was nice to see Imogen, Tobias and Amarinda were in the story but it was Mott that most impressed me.  I'm not gonna say how cause you really need to read the book.  Overall giving it a five out of five.  I purchased the hardcover for my review.    
 

2 comments:

  1. I just read an ARC of this and LOVED it. Thanks for the review. It's an awesome book and I'll be reviewing it in March too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to your review. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete